Flea & Tick Medication for Dogs and Cats
Although many flea & tick medications, heartworm medications, and intestinal parasite preventatives are available, due to increased resistance of fleas against commonly-used preventatives and the increasing tick population in the Southeast, Beyond Pets Animal Hospital has compiled recommendations for preventing & treating external parasites on your dog or cat.
Canine Flea & Tick Medication Preventatives
The recommended protocol for active, inside/outside dogs:
- Heartworm, Flea Egg Sterilizer, & Intestinal parasite preventative: Novartis Sentinel
- Flea & tick medication topical medication: Activyl Plus, Frontline Tritak, Vectra 3D or Effitix
- Flea & tick oral medication: Bravecto or Simparica
For inside dogs that briefly walk outside around the neighborhood (aren’t exposed to ticks), we recommend:
- Combination Heartworm/Intestinal Parasite/Flea medication: Elanco Trifexis or Advantage Multi
Feline Flea & Tick Medication Preventatives
For all cats, to protect against most internal and external parasites, we recommend:
- Combination Heartworm/Intestinal Parasite/Flea medication: Pfizer Revolution
You can find these and many other products on our online pharmacy by clicking here.
For a list of all current flea medications (as of July 2013), please see the below flyer: